Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Do you need Sologig if you have a Careerbuilder Resume Database License?

My Careerbuilder license just came up for renewal.  During my negotiations with the account rep (you know the ones where I tell them I want to pay less and they tell me I should pay more and I end up paying the same as the previous year?), I was pitched a subscription to the Sologig resume database.  I expressed my concern about niche sites to my account rep, but she promised me that there were people on Sologig who I wouldn't find on Careerbuilder.  She even gave me a one-month trial to prove it to myself.

Armed with licenses to both the Careerbuilder and Sologig databases, I set out to do some comparisons.  I'll keep this short because not much more needs to be said: it's not worth adding Sologig to your Careerbuilder license.  At all.  I tried multiple locations with multiple key words.  Everyone that I found on Sologig was also on Careerbuilder.  EVERYONE.  I'm assuming that Careerbuilder sucks in the resumes from Sologig to bump the size of their database.  So save your money and stick with Careerbuilder.

4 comments:

Jeremy Mohler said...

Thanks for the post. Is there a better IT resume database service than CareerBuilder? I know that CB isn't specifically IT so I've been intrigued by the niche IT sites (like Dice) that "could" provide my company more candidates for, say, a java developer. Is sticking with CB's massive database the best move in IT?

Bill Branstetter said...

In my experience and research, the few resumes that are on niche sites but not on the biggies are not worth the expense. If you're budget can afford it, you can always check it out yourself. Do a one month trial of Dice and run a comparison between it and Monster using the same search criteria.

The niche sites know that they can't compete in volume. That's why they try and differentiate themselves with something. I believe that Dice has added a social networking component to become more competitive.

Unknown said...

Our CB renewal is coming up today. So annoying that the rep never hears..."this is what we need, and this is our budget." They just hear, "Yes! Please price gouge me, and give me bells and whistles that we don't need! I love it when you do that!". I'm grabbing the advil, 'cause it is gonna be one of those Mondays.

Unknown said...

Hang in there, Philise!