Monday, April 21, 2008

TalentHook Review - Searching Multiple Job Boards Simultaneously

TalentHook (www.talenthook.com) is one of my favorite recruiting tools. While I only use a fraction of it's functionality, the parts that I use save me a tremendous amount of time. One of the best features is its ability to compile results of multiple job board searches into one window. We currently subscribe to Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, and ClearedConnections.com. It has an interface that is very similar to any job board's candidate database search screen where you enter in key words in a boolean fashion (AND, OR, NOT) and location. There are also advanced search features like salary, age of post, education, and employment terms that may or may not be supported by the job boards that you subscribe to. TalentHook then scours the sites (you have to already have subscriptions to them) and compiles a lists of matching candidates. It also will eliminate duplicates. This allows me to search through three job boards using only one search. BIG time saver. TalentHook will also search various freeboards (including craigslist) and the open web.

Another feature that I really enjoy is the ability to send out bulk email. For example, I was recently searching for an IPv6 engineer. There aren't many to be found, so I performed a nationwide search for candidates. I then used TalentHook to send out an individual email to each of the candidates appearing in the search results asking them for referrals. Yes, it is a little like spam (okay, a lot like spam), but it allowed me to contact about 500 potential candidates instantly. I spent the rest of the day responding to email responses and calls from interested candidates. I ended up finding a candidate in Florida to work in Alabama. The whole process took less than 24 hours thanks to the bulk email feature.

There are a few negatives which I would like to see improved in future upgrades. Many job boards have unique search features and criteria that are really useful (i.e. Careerbuilder's ability to list candidates willing to relocate to a certain zip code). If you're using TalentHook, you don't have access to those unique features. Other job boards are not fully integrated. For example, I can search for candidates in a 20 mile radius of 22222, but TalentHook displays the ClearedConnections candidates from all over the country. A third negative (which is more annoying than anything else), is that you have to go through TalentHook training before they'll let you use it. I wish they'd give me a little more credit on my ability to figure things out through exploration and then ask for help if I get confused.

On a whole, if you subscribe to multiple job boards and search nationally, TalentHook is a must have tool for the busy recruiter. For less than $4,000 year, it's a solid investment. It's top competitor is infoGIST's Platinum Recruiter (www.infogist.com) which I aim to try soon.

Have a similar or different experience with TalentHook? Please share your comments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

InfoGist BLOWS AWAY Talenthook. I am speaking of the embedded version in Maxhire. This version of TH is clunky, slow, gives inaccurate results, takes up computer resources, only lets you keep 10 saved searches (!!). Should I go on? Okay. NOTHING else can be done (browsing, accessing files) while downloading a batch of candidates to MaxHire. I consistently get results with a score of 'zero'; which takes away from precious and expensive views on Monster. Unfortunately, I have to keep this piece of junk because my employer bought it and I have to choke on it. I would not recommend this to my sourcing nemesis. InfoGist is FAR superior.

Anonymous said...

I also didn't mention if your searches are acronym driven, forget using TalentHook. For example, if you are looking for an Electrical engineer (EE) or and Industrial engineer (IE); your results will be ANY word with IE and EE within the word. That's just a small example. Completely frustrating.

Cheryl Hardy said...

I think it's also important to note that Bret is referring to the embedded version of the TalentHook product which is integrated based on the needs and preferences of our partners and in some cases will not feature our full functionality.

The TalentHook Sphere desktop product is still the fastest, most reliable search product on the market. Bret, if you also want some tips on how to best adjust your boolean search to accommodate search terms like EE and IE, we'd be happy to help.